dns - golog

Thomas Leavitt thomas at thomasleavitt.org
Thu Oct 19 22:53:52 UTC 2006

What would a query result for a non-functioning domain look like? Or
would this only apply to unregistered domains? Would a common user be
able to distinguish between a domain that was registered, but for which
DNS was not functioning, and one that was unregistered? If I were a
user, and forgot to renew a domain, would it immediately go into this
pool when it expired - thus presenting all of the potential viewers not
with an DNS error message, but someone else's advertising?

If I ran utilities and services which expected to obtain a different
response, depending on whether a DNS query was successfully resolved,
what would happen to them?

How would, say, SMTP servers which rejected hosts for which no valid DNS
could be determined, behave as a result of this set up - would mail no
longer be rejected if it came from
evilspammer at adfasdfjjlasdfafdkasdf.com? How about programs designed to
time out when DNS lookups failed... etc. etc. There are a whole host of
issues that emerge when you deliberately and consciously "break" DNS
this way...

if golog has answers to these questions, it might be interesting to hear
them...

... finally, why go through all this hassle for what has to be an
utterly trivial amount of money resulting from people being presented
with something totally unexpected and clicking on a link therein... how
valuable are these people as customers? I can't imagine much...

Thomas