200K prefixes - Weekly Routing Table Report

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Oct 13 20:46:26 UTC 2006

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 00:53:37 -0000, Neil J. McRae said:

> I think you have seriouisly under estimated that. think of the routers with
> distributed line cards then all the boxes that are soon to be a trash can job
> because they can't be upgraded.

Hmm.  <looks around AS1312>  2 /16s, I'll be *generous* and say 100 interfaces
that have full routing tables (it's actually probably closer to a dozen).

But I have *at least* 30K user machines on my network that will all either
be stuck on XP or buying a gigabyte or two each for Vista.  Even if my 100K
is off by a factor of 5 or even 10, that's still just a *pimple* on the RAM
sales that will happen even if Vista *flops*.