International phone numbers (was Re: AOL Non-Lameness)

Etaoin Shrdlu shrdlu at deaddrop.org
Tue Oct 3 00:44:47 UTC 2006

Judicious clipping; hope I kept the right attributions...

Ian Mason wrote:

> On 2 Oct 2006, at 23:39, Rick Kunkel wrote:

>> I had users that appeared to be getting their email blocked seemingly
>> because in their sigs, they write their phone number that stupid
>> IP-Address-Wannabe method, like:
>>
>> 206.555.1212
>>
>> As an aside, is this something that's the norm in other places, like
>> commas instead of periods for decimals in other countries?  I'd  hate to
>> sound critical if it was.

> Normal practice in France; Belgium too I think.

It's normal in a lot of places. When you start to add in country codes,
I suspect it's easier to type number dot number rather than plus number
parenthesis number parenthesis number hyphen number and so on. I
converted all my phone list numbers to that format long ago. It's just
cleaner. Never thought about whether it was cool, or not. "Cool" is not
on my radar.

--
In April 1951, Galaxy published C.M. Kornbluth's "The Marching Morons".
The intervening years have proven Kornbluth right.