International phone numbers (was Re: AOL Non-Lameness)

Joel Jaeggli joelja at uoregon.edu
Tue Oct 3 01:12:13 UTC 2006

Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

> Judicious clipping; hope I kept the right attributions...
>
> Ian Mason wrote:
>
>> On 2 Oct 2006, at 23:39, Rick Kunkel wrote:
>
>>> I had users that appeared to be getting their email blocked seemingly
>>> because in their sigs, they write their phone number that stupid
>>> IP-Address-Wannabe method, like:
>>>
>>> 206.555.1212

Commas in AT commands and on fax machines mean pause. Not sure why space
isn't a good enough separator for phone numbers.

Periods are used as separators for sequences of three numbers
conventionally in most European (ie continental) countries likewise the
comma is used for decimal notation.

ten thousand 			10.000
ten and 51 hundredths 		10,51

and for good historical measure:

seventeen hundred sixty one	M. DCC. LXI.
Joel Jaeggli             Unix Consulting              joelja at uoregon.edu
GPG Key Fingerprint:   5C6E 0104 BAF0 40B0 5BD3 C38B F000 35AB B67F 56B2