becoming a LEC

John L Lee johnllee at
Mon Mar 27 23:15:27 UTC 2006


  While I am not a Lawyer and therefore cannot offer a legal opinion, 
you have ask a legal question not a technical one. You are in the State 
of  CA
unless there is another Burbank in the country. You would have to go to 
your Public Service Commission or PUC or whatever they call it in CA to
find out all of the regs on becoming a CLEC.  If you can be a data CLEC 
without being a Voice CLEC then you may get away without having to offer 
and other services. The question is can you be a "reseller" of the 
service without full CLEC status. In GA and other States that I am 
familair with you need
a Carrier number that costs about 20k to register.

Go talk to a telecom lawyer in CA.

John (ISDN) Lee

(I Still Do not kNow)

Philip Lavine wrote:

>I have decided to mux down a DS3 into T1's so that my
>vendors and customers have redundant access to my
>Here is the situation:
>Right now my customers/vendors ride the ILEC (I am in
>Burbank)into my building. I have another carrier with
>an OC3 running into my building so I wanted to take a
>DS3 off of that and then MUX that down to T1's so I
>can offer LEC diversity (and possibly upstream
>diversity). The alternate carrier has agreed to my
>plan but I am not sure if there is any regulations or
>standards that I must adhere to. Also how do I get my
>customers/vendors to choose me as the LEC when they
>order the redundant circuit? How do I create a
>Do You Yahoo!?
>Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 

More information about the NANOG mailing list