"Reporting to God"

Gordon Cook cook at cookreport.com
Mon Mar 27 14:32:48 UTC 2006

very interesting suresh.

I read it and it does provide confirmations from my point of view on
some things that I had only suspected.

The most significant  was that IBM and ATT were the corps that had
gotten their hooks into Magaziner....  This happened between sept and
december 1996.  That action had other IMPORTANT fall out - namely it
cancelled the very carefully laid plans of the NSF to declare the
network solutions cooperative agreement done a year early.  had that
happened the feds would have lost whatever control they had.  (I
published an issue on april 1, 1997 saying what the feds had done to
the NSF.  I got email congratulating me on a brilliant april fools
day issue.  Unfortunately it was true.... and not an april fools day
joke.)   Maher is also dead wrong on his insinuations about the NSF
doing backroom deals with SAIC and the USF gov't on charging for
domain names.  I don't like SAIC any more than Maher but again I have
documented from the direct sources involved at NSF that they could
not have done otherwise than what they did.

A Maher does lift the curtain on what his trademark folk did and that
is useful - confirming a bunch of what a lot of use who were not in
THOSE rooms suspected.  I hear that ken cukier is working on a
definitive history of this - it needs to be written for sure.  the
consequences of what happened a decade ago have not yet fully played
out and there was a lot more going on than just trademark.  The most
important thing from my point of view to the kuallumpur meeting that
maher mentions is that ARIN was announced to the world by jon
postel.  Magaziner had hammered THAT out at a meeting of the FNC in
washington a couple of weeks earlier.

anyway i have other things to do that rehash old history  - but
thanks for pointing this out.  Maher does offer an interesting
perspective that makes sense (from his point of view at least.)

The COOK Report on Internet Protocol, 431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ
08618 USA
609 882-2572 (PSTN) 415 651-4147 (Lingo) cook at cookreport.com
Subscription
info: http://cookreport.com/subscriptions.shtml Exploring Role of