Interesting new spam technique - getting a lot more popular.

chuck goolsbee chucklist at forest.net
Thu Jun 15 17:53:06 UTC 2006

At 7:03 PM -0400 6/14/06, Matt Buford wrote:
>There is also strong demand among web hosting customers to scatter
>sites across multiple /24's due to search engine optimization.

I hear this line of thinking often, but to me it sounds like
bulls^X^X^X^X^X... um, "folklore". When our customers/salesdroids ask
for it, I (politely) refuse. We acquired a hosting operation in 2004
that had blown a full /20 on literally a rack and a half of hardware,
and I was aghast at what a nightmare that was. We're still untangling
that mess.

Anyway, if somebody could enlighten me to definitive proof, or stated
policy by Goo... er "search engines", that confirms this "search
engine result optimization by blatant abuse of IP addresses" I'd
appreciate it. I for one believe it is bunk dreamt up by somebody
trying to sell something. If it is true though, I would have to say
that it "is evil" and I would imagine many folks here (and not to
mention ARIN, RIPE, et al) would agree.

--chuck