Sitefinder II, the sequel...

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Thu Jul 13 15:50:49 UTC 2006

* christopher.morrow at verizonbusiness.com (Christopher L. Morrow) [Thu 13 Jul 2006, 16:55 CEST]:
>So If grandma Jane goes to fobar.com (which gets
>corrected/redirected/blah) to foobar.com and sees some content she
>really likes she may tell grandma June. Grandma June goes to fobar.com
>and gets the IE error message saying 'site does not exist. She calls her
>ISP to find out why the site is down.
>
>This is a very oversimplified example, I admit. It does show a simple
>example though of inconsistency and why that could be 'bad' or atleast
>problematic. (It might also argue for universal adoption of this
>technology, which I still 'just dont like', which also might be the
>crazy pills)

I don't think it's such a good example.  Here's why:

The redirect from fobar.com to foobar.com doesn't happen on a DNS level.
This is a good thing, as name-based virtual hosting wouldn't work anymore.
So instead of getting the MSIE search page Jane gets the OpenDNS search
page, can select foobar.com and then read out the URL in her browser's
Location bar to June.

(ironically, www.fobar.com is an alias for
 ad.funnel.revenuedirect.com.akadns.net.)

	-- Niels.