Sitefinder II, the sequel...

Simon Waters simonw at zynet.net
Fri Jul 14 08:36:13 UTC 2006

On Thursday 13 Jul 2006 13:08, you wrote:

> The second part doesn't make any sense to me.  It seems that having
> multiple, geographically disparate recursive name servers would be
> more likely to present an "alternative [view] of the DNS".  (In fact,
> I can prove that's true in at least some cases. :)  So you are
> actually arguing -against- your first point.

Only where others deliberately provide conflicting data from different
sources. That is their choice, certainly the recursive machines would be
deployed to avoid making the situation worse.

The point of local provision is for reliability, and performance.

> Perhaps something as simple as a preference only 'correcting' queries
> that begin with "www"?

Alas "www" is ascribing meaning where non-exists, webservers exist without the
www prefix, and some name servers and mail servers have proper names with the
www in. Such half baked approaches are how systems decay.