is this like a peering war somehow?

Per Heldal heldal at eml.cc
Fri Jan 20 10:30:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:44:59 +0000, "Paul Vixie" <paul at vix.com> said:

> proving once again that "peering ratios" only matter if the other guy's
> customers can live without your "assymetric" content, here are two
> articles
> i saw today via slashdot.  what's interesting to me is whether bellsouth
> will be sued some time later by some other content provider for
> de-peering
> them without also having applied the same rules to google.  note, this
> isn't
> a bellsouth-specific rant, they just happen to be mentioned in today's
> story.

Carriers trying to charge content-providers for access to their
network/customers is just part of a greater picture. The telco industry
is fighting to re-establish their dominant position. Traditionally
they've been able to pocket (extort) a large portion of the revenue for
3rd-party PSTN services (content services) themselves. Over the last
decade they've gained control of the ISP-industry and noe they want to
achieve the same level of control of the internet. The most conservative
are even suggesting to remove internet-governance from the public
domain. The European telecoms industry is openly urging the UN to take
control of ICANN's role. In the process they are trying to place the
functions of IANA and IETF in their belowed ITU. Their ultimate goal is
to eliminate IP as a product, to be able to sell access to sub-protocols
as individual services.

//per
--
  Per Heldal