is this like a peering war somehow?

James james at towardex.com
Sat Jan 21 18:16:44 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 08:45:18PM +0000, Edward B. DREGER wrote:

> DG> Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:49:12 -0500
> DG> From: Daniel Golding
>
> DG> The RBOCs need to get over this - they are floundering around to try and
> DG> find a way to recoup network costs. This is one front. IMS is another. I
>
> It's not just RBOCs.  Approximately five years back I approached a
> cableco about peering.  They wanted to charge more for peering than what
> they did for transit.  Justification?  "It's priority access to our
> customers."
>
> Note that it was NOT due to transit costs.  They still wanted the higher
> fee if one ran a private line directly to their POP.
>
> This was for a mostly-content network.  So much for content/eyeball
> synergy.

Well, since content/eyeball is a two-way street and goes both ways, I
would not be surprised when some major content network starts telling
access networks to pay up to peer or otherwise to gain access to their
content.

BellSouth is better off buying transit from Cogent and forget this
"how do we make the most money off of our access network" mantra ;)

James