GoDaddy.com shuts down entire data center?

Martin Hannigan hannigan at world.std.com
Mon Jan 16 02:00:47 UTC 2006

> On 15-Jan-2006, at 18:15, Elijah Savage wrote:
>
> > Any validatity to this and if so I am suprised that our team has
> > got no calls on not be able to get to certain websites.
> >
> > http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=477562
>
> I think the main thing I learned from that is that there are a
> surprising number of hosting companies and self-professed data centre
> operators who really don't know much about the DNS.

The GoDaddy guy didn't do such a bad job. It sounds like they had
some procedures and they followed them.

http://marc.perkel.com/audio/godaddy.mp3

Operationally, not having someone on the shift who can make
decisions is not a good thing. It's like having a NOC with
no shift supervisor. If you're big enough - a manager.

Disclaimer: In now way, shape, or form, should that be inferred as
a plug for or against GoDaddy. I'm nuetral.

Best!

-M<