protocols that don't meet the need...

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Wed Feb 15 21:35:31 UTC 2006

The big question there is whether it is helpful for an operator of a
wired network to comment on a routing technology for a network that
is fundamentally dissimilar from his target topology. Not that there
is no valid comment - the security issues are certainly related. But
if you want to say "but in my continental or global fiber network I
don't plan to run a manet, so this is entirely stupid" - which is
nearly verbatim the operator comment I got in a discussion of manet
routing in a university setting three years ago - the logical answer
is "we didn't expect you to; do you have comments appropriate to a
regional enterprisish network whose 'core' is a set of unmanned
airplanes flying in circles and connects cars, trucks, and other
kinds of vehicles?".

So operators are certainly welcome in a research group, but I would
suggest that operator concerns/requirements be tailored to
operational use of a manet network in a context where it *is*
appropriate.