Home media servers, AUPs, and upstream bandwidth utilization.

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Tue Dec 26 21:57:47 UTC 2006

On Dec 26, 2006, at 12:12 PM, John Kristoff wrote:

> I'm not very excited about things like jumbo frames, in part because
> of the good work you did there to show hard they are to actually get
> end-to-end, but all it takes these days is for one middle box in the
> path to cripple, in any myriad of ways, an end host stack
> optimization.

Jumbo frames can certainly be helpful within the IDC, for example
between front-end systems and back-end database and/or storage
systems; the IDC is also a more controlled and predictable
environment (or at least it should be, heh) than the aggregate of
multiple transit/access networks, and therefore in most cases one
ought to be able to ensure that jumbo frames are supported end-to-end
between the relevant IDC-hosted systems (or even between multiple
IDCs within the same SP network).  This isn't the same as a true end-
to-end capability between any discrete set of nodes on the Internet,
but they can still indirectly increased performance for a
topologically diverse user population by virtue of more optimal
throughput 'behind the curtains', as it were.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // 408.527.6376 voice

		All battles are perpetual.

     		   -- Milton Friedman