Home media servers, AUPs, and upstream bandwidth utilization.

John Kristoff jtk at ultradns.net
Tue Dec 26 20:12:44 UTC 2006

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 09:07:10 -0800
Joe St Sauver <joe at oregon.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> But that's all host-based -- what about at the network level?

Hi Joe,

There are also the widely deployed "packet shaper" boxes that are
artificially reducing throughput, including in some instances on the
path between Abilene connected networks and their end hosts.  I've run
into this myself as you may recall me eluding to recently.  This may
be another good excuse for doing the report card.

In some cases there is has also been no easy away around them even when
the institution realizes that their placement is less than ideal for
cases that are not the popular peer-to-peer music sharing (which is
clearly the application these boxes were initially targetting to slow
down).

I'm not very excited about things like jumbo frames, in part because
of the good work you did there to show hard they are to actually get
end-to-end, but all it takes these days is for one middle box in the
path to cripple, in any myriad of ways, an end host stack optimization.

John