i am not a list moderator, but i do have a request

Steve Gibbard scg at gibbard.org
Mon Aug 14 17:57:03 UTC 2006

I'm not a list moderator either, anymore.  I spent enough time moderating
the NANOG list to get thoroughly disgusted with those who need babysitters
to supervise them in a professional forum.  I'm sure the current group of
volunteer moderators would appreciate some common sense and common
courtesy on the part of the list members.

Please, think before you post.  Ask yourself some questions about the
topic.  Does whatever you're saying have to do directly with Internet
operations, rather than with some other aspect of your professional or
personal life?  Is it going to be useful to the rest of the members of the
list?  Useful enough that a few thousand people should each at least spend
30 seconds figuring out whether it's worth reading?  Is there a more
appropriate forum, not because it's completely off-topic, but because the
subset of NANOG subscribers who care about an issue are also subscribed
elsewhere (like routes, the most specific mailing list should win,
right?)?

If you've decided the topic is appropriate (in other words, that it's not,
say, what to tell your executives about flying through London), figure out
if your message adds anything.  Are you contributing anything new, or
arguing for the sake of arguing?  Has what you're going to say already
been said?  If you're contributing new analogies, are you adequately
supporting them to make a broader point, or are you just throwing them out
there to show off your creativity?  If making a legal argument, are you
backing it up with relevant case law, or merely with analogies that seem
relevant to you?  If you're making a business or technical argument, can
you point to relevant experience, or at least sound theory, to back up
whatever you're saying?

Since this list is read by many of your professional peers, what impact
will your posts have next time you're looking for a job.  Will potential
employers be impressed at your reasonableness and restraint, or scared off
by your lack of self control?

Please, don't make your volunteer list administrators spend their time
chasing after you.  They're there as a last resort, not as an immediate
supervisor.

-Steve