ISP wants to stop outgoing web based spam

Suresh Ramasubramanian ops.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 03:38:41 UTC 2006

On 8/10/06, Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com> wrote:
> Do we really want ISPs to become the enforcers for every Internet
> application someone may use or abuse?  Webmail, online game cheating, blog
> complaints, auctions disputes, instant message harrasment, music sharing,
> online gambling, etc.
>
> Imagining you are going to stop drug dealers by removing public pay
> phones isn't addressing the real source of the problem.

The MAAWG bcps, for example, state that ISPs must take responsiblity
for mitigating outbound spam and abuse.

Whether the problem is bad enough for an ISP to put in automated
filtering instead of dealing with abuse reports on a case by case
basis, is a call for the ISP to make.

For example, egress filtering / bcp38, port 25 blocking, route filters
to stop martian packets and leaked routes from propogating .. or
network level filtering slammer and other worm traffic for that
matter.

srs

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian (ops.lists at gmail.com)