ISP wants to stop outgoing web based spam

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Aug 10 03:20:17 UTC 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> On 8/10/06, Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com> wrote:
>> Shouldn't most of freemail/webmail services be doing their own outbound
>> spam and virus checking now?
>
> Yes, Sean - they are.  But it is far, far more productive for the
> source of this abuse to be choked off.  Call it the difference between
> using mosquito repellant and draining a huge pool of stagnant water
> just outside your home.

Do we really want ISPs to become the enforcers for every Internet
application someone may use or abuse?  Webmail, online game cheating, blog
complaints, auctions disputes, instant message harrasment, music sharing,
online gambling, etc.

Imagining you are going to stop drug dealers by removing public pay
phones isn't addressing the real source of the problem.