mitigating botnet C&Cs has become useless

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Wed Aug 2 02:42:28 UTC 2006

On August 1, 2006 at 11:50 surfer at mauigateway.com (Scott Weeks) wrote:
 > there has to be a technical way to do this, rather
 > than a diplomatic way as the diplomatic ways historically
 > have not worked in the other areas mentioned, so they
 > probably won't work here, either.  Or we have to keep
 > going until one can be contrived.  Many good attempts
 > have been made and there will be more to come until we
 > hopefully rid ourselves of the sickness others of lower
 > values force on us daily...

I have nothing against technical solutions tho after over ten years of
a lot of smart people trying, and a grand prize of probably a billion
dollars increase in personal wealth, it doesn't seem forthcoming.

However, I do take exception to the assertion that "diplomatic ways
historically have not worked in other areas mentioned".

I think what you mean is that they haven't worked perfectly, but
slipped the semantics a little. Surely you didn't mean to say that all
efforts to oppose, e.g., the human slave trade have been in vain?

The effectiveness has a lot to do with the profitability making the
risk worthwhile (e.g., drug trade), and who the crime appeals to; some
poor, desparate people will take risks others won't (e.g., high-seas
piracy.)

Unfortunately all this reasoning might be edifying but it leads
nowhere.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide