IP ranges, re- announcing 'PA space' via BGP, etc

Joe Provo nanog-post at rsuc.gweep.net
Fri Apr 7 11:38:32 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 01:13:19PM +0200, Alexander Koch wrote:

> On Fri, 7 April 2006 07:03:09 -0400, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> > Can you give us some examples so us "dumb Americans" can more
> > precisely explain the problem? :)

He did.

> When a random customer (content hoster) asks you to accept
> something out of 8/8 that is Level(3) space, and there is no
> route at this moment in the routing table, do you accept it,
> or does Level(3) have some fancy written formal process and
> they get approval to do it, etc.?
>
> In Europe we would tell the customer this ain't gonna happen,
> as we would re- announce blocks out of 'foreign' LIR allocations
> and that is a no-go, unless the holder of that allocations
> acks that.

If there is clear expression of intent (SWIP/RWHOIS delegation)
and the customer is multihoming then it is easy. If the customer
isn't multihoming, verification of space portability is needed.
If no clear published intent, allocation verification needs to
be furnished preferably by the other provider.

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE