IP ranges, re- announcing 'PA space' via BGP, etc

Alexander Koch efraim at clues.de
Fri Apr 7 11:13:19 UTC 2006

On Fri, 7 April 2006 07:03:09 -0400, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> Can you give us some examples so us "dumb Americans" can more
> precisely explain the problem? :)

When a random customer (content hoster) asks you to accept
something out of 8/8 that is Level(3) space, and there is no
route at this moment in the routing table, do you accept it,
or does Level(3) have some fancy written formal process and
they get approval to do it, etc.?

In Europe we would tell the customer this ain't gonna happen,
as we would re- announce blocks out of 'foreign' LIR allocations
and that is a no-go, unless the holder of that allocations
acks that.

> What if you try to justify small assignments?

I have done numerous /24 or /23 requests and my first hit
approval rate is probably 90+ percent. RIPE only, I do not
know ARIN.

-ako