Scalability issues in the Internet routing system

Lincoln Dale ltd at interlink.com.au
Wed Oct 26 23:37:23 UTC 2005

Alexei Roudnev wrote:
> Forwarding is in line cards not because of CPU issues, but because of BUS
> issues.

i respectfully disagree.
"centralized forwarding" only gets you so far on the performance scale.
  "distributed forwarding" is a (relatively) simple way to scale that
performance.

just take a look at any 'modern' router (as in, something this century)
with a requirement of (say) >10M PPS.

sure - there are reasons why one DOES have to go to a distributed model
- 'bus limitations' as you say .. but i'd more classify those as phsycal
chip-packaging limitations - how many pins you can put on a chip, how
'wide' the memory-bus needs to be as the PPS goes up.

> It means, that card can be software based easily.

once again - disagree.  it _may_ be that it means that forwarding can be
in software - but for the most part the determining factor here is what
is the PPS required for the function.

i've previously posted a categorization of requirements in a router
based on their function -- see
<http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/2005-09/msg00635.html>

i think _software-based_ works for /some/ types of router functions -
but nowhere near all - and certainly not a 'core' router this century.

> Anyway, as I said - it is only small, minor engineering question - how to
> forward having 2,000,000 routes. If internet will require such router - it
> will be crearted easily. Today we eed 160,000 routes - and it works (line
> cards,m software, etc - it DO WORK).

if you're looking at routers based on their classification, clearly
there isn't a requirement for all types of routers to have a full
routing table.

but for a 'core router' and 'transit/peering routers', the ability to
work with a full routing-table view is probably a requirement - both
now, and into the future.

there have been public demonstrations of released routers supporting
upwards of 1.5M IPv4+IPv6 prefixes and demonstrations on routing churn
convergence time.
<http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=63606> contains one
such public test.

cheers,