Scalability issues in the Internet routing system

Blaine Christian blaine at blaines.net
Thu Oct 27 01:06:48 UTC 2005

> there have been public demonstrations of released routers
> supporting upwards of 1.5M IPv4+IPv6 prefixes and demonstrations on
> routing churn convergence time. <http://www.lightreading.com/
> document.asp?doc_id=63606> contains one such public test.

The http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?
site=testing&doc_id=63606&page_number=6 part may be a bit
misleading.  For me it would be more interesting to see what happens
when 500k routes completely disappear from the router then come
back.   I want to see a 500k route push from a neighboring CRS in
that amount of time...

Of course the routes can switch quick when you use a layer of
indirection (folks have been doing that for a few years now).  My
question is how fast can you install routes from a standing start (or
a 1/4 of a standing start if this is 2M prefixes).

I will leave the question on whether it is actually worth an
investment in time and resources as an exercise for the reader <grin>.

Lightreading people,  test it like that!  It will be much more
entertaining and perhaps even a bit enlightening to see how major
vendors compare on "brand new" route installation into RIB and FIB.
They only have to twiddle a couple bits to make indirection work
quickly.  Having to deal with a brand new prefix is a completely
different problem.