Regulatory intervention (Redux: Who is a Tier 1?)

William Allen Simpson wsimpson at greendragon.com
Thu Oct 6 18:51:06 UTC 2005

Niels Bakker wrote:

> * wsimpson at greendragon.com (William Allen Simpson) [Thu 06 Oct 2005,
> 19:10 CEST]:
>
>> Following up on my own post, according to
>>   http://www.ams-ix.net/connected/
>

> Useful page, isn't it?

I wish that all IXs had one.

>>  Cogent, Open
>>  Level(3), Not public
>>  We Dare B.V., Open
>>
>> So, what did your member organization do to resolve this partition.
>> Cut off Level(3)?  Sue them?
>

> That particular member organisation has a policy of not interfering with
> its members' peering policies.  It expects its members to send packets
> only to people who explicitly asked for it over the shared
> infrastructure (via announcements of prefixes via BGP), and to pay their
> bills on time.

Arguably a very good thing.  IXs shouldn't be in the "enforcement"
business.  That's for governments.

(As you will remember, I was refuting his generalization that "private"
organizations are somehow preferable to "public" organizations.  It has
always been my preference to argue with specifics in hand.)

--
William Allen Simpson