Cogent/Level 3 depeering

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Wed Oct 5 19:12:49 UTC 2005

At 02:47 PM 05/10/2005, Douglas Dever wrote:

> > fact remains that Cogent is not providing the service I'm paying them
> > for and they need to get it fixed.
>
>Really?  As you already pointed out, your packets are reaching their
>destination.  So, they don't "need" to get anything "fixed."

I think what people are upset about is that you now have less
redundancy now if you are a cogent transit customer.  If I tell my
customers, "I have 3 full transit links", I now have to put an *
there.   If my 2 non cogent links go down, I dont have a full
visibility of the Internet. I see everything, except Level3.  It
becomes more acute if you have just 2 transit links-- Cogent and one
other.  What if your other provider has a lossy path to Level 3
?  You cant work around it by preferencing 174 3356

         ---Mike