TLD anycast clouds?

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Oct 5 07:54:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Elmar K. Bins wrote:

> I'd propose taking the list of TLDs, generating the list of associated
> authoritative DNS servers (and their IP addresses) and try that list
> on the routing registries...

Assuming that you do that, what would you be your criteria to find based
on RR if the ip is anycasted or not?

I mean lets suppose that I run dns server at AS0 and peer at location A
and also at location B with same ISP with AS1. I might have one dns server
at location A and another different one at location B, which means its
anycasting. But from peering perspective it would just appear as the
same path AS0->AS1 no matter what location it is.

Opposite to that route to the same server might be seen from different
peer AS# based on location because of routing policies.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net