Issue AS and Subnet Announcment on BGP - Conflict with a major TelCO - 30h+ of route flapping unresolved

Charles Gucker cgucker at onesc.net
Wed Nov 16 05:06:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 11:46:35PM -0500, Alain Hebert wrote:

>    Hi,
>
>    I know somebody that is experiencing route flapping for more than a
> day now and we found out 10h ago that it was due to the announcement of
> his subnet by a major TelCO.
>
>    Once that telco contacted, we got the run around for 10h now and no
> willingness from their part to fix the problem immediately.

	Well, a 'normal' solution (short term) would be to announce more
specific announcements of your address space, then contact said Telco's
upstream providers to have your prefix filtered from their connection(s).
A nicely worded (polite) email/fax would go a long way with the NOC.

	This is of course, if they are not returning your calls, or as
you say giving you the run around.   I would also try to find a sympathetic
body at the telco to help to properly resolve the issue, so you can go back
to announcing only your aggregate netblock.

>    We're wondering what is the proper process to make the TelCo correct
> their behavior and cooperate?
>    (ARIN Conflict Resolution Process, etc ... We found nothing about
> this situation)

	ARIN will not step in here.  They allocate resources, they do not
police or enforce those resources.

charles