STILL Paging Google...

Matthew Elvey matthew at elvey.com
Wed Nov 16 00:56:12 UTC 2005

Still no word from google, or indication that there's anything wrong
with the robots.txt.  Google's estimated hit count is going slightly up,
instead of way down.
Why am I bugging NANOG with this? Well, I'm sure if Googlebot keeps
ignoring my robots.txt file, thereby hammering the server and
facilitating s pam, they're doing the same with a google other sites.
(Well, ok, not a google, but you get my point.)

On 11/14/05 2:18 PM, Coyle, Brian sent forth electrons to convey:
> Just thinking out loud...
>
> Have you confirmed the IP addresses of the Googlebot entries in your log
> actually belong to Google?
>
> /paranoia  :)
The google search URL I posted shows that google is hitting the site.
There are results in there that point to pages that postdate the
robots.txt that should have blocked 'em.
(http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awiki.fastmail.fm)

On 11/14/05 2:09 PM, Jeff Rosowski sent forth electrons to convey:
> Are you trying to block everything except the main page?  I know to
> block everything ...
No; me too. See
http://www.google.com/webmasters/remove.html
The above page says that
Disallow: /*?
will block all standard-looking dynamic content, i.e. URLs with "?" in them.