AS-set results, new experiments 30/06/2005

Lorenzo Colitti lorenzo at ripe.net
Fri Jun 24 15:25:28 UTC 2005

Hi,

we have posted preliminary results of our long AS-set announcements to
our web site:

http://www.dia.uniroma3.it/~compunet/bgp-probing/diffusion.html

While we are still working on an in-depth analysis, the results indicate
that while the presence or absence of an AS-set in an announcement does
have an effect on its propagation, the length of the AS-set, if present,
does not have a significant effect.

We would also like to move forward with further announcements to
determine the effectiveness of our topology discovery algorithms in the
IPv4 network. The algorithms, described in our posting a few weeks ago
[1] and on the project's web page [2], make use of announcements
involving the AS numbers of other ASes to allow ISPs to discover how
their announcements can be propagated and how the policies of other ASes
in the Internet affect their prefixes.

The extensive tests we have performed on the global IPv6 Internet show
that our algorithms are effective, but we would like to see how
effective they are on the IPv4 Internet given the different operational
  practices in use. Therefore, starting on Thursday 30 June at 14:00 UTC
the prefixes 84.205.73.0/24 and 84.205.89.0/24 will be announced with
AS-paths of the form 12654 {...} where the AS-set contains the numbers
of neighboring ASes.

The announcements will not last more than a few days; as before, should
anyone see any problems, please contact me and I will take immediate
action. Finally, our tests show that our announcements cause no
technical problems; however, if anyone would prefer their AS number not
to appear in the AS-sets, and feels that filtering our prefixes is not
sufficient, please contact me and we will not use them.

Regards,
Lorenzo

[1] http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg08501.html
[2] http://www.dia.uniroma3.it/~compunet/bgp-probing/

lorenzo at ripe.net                  colitti at dia.uniroma3.it
www.ripe.net                www.dia.uniroma3.it/~compunet
RIPE NCC        Roma Tre Computer Networks research group