Battery Maint in LEC equipment

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sun Jun 5 04:56:34 UTC 2005

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, W.D.McKinney wrote:
> >If you wanted to pay for it, some of the CLECs would add batteries.  But
> >it wasn't part of the base package.
>
> All the AT&T pops usually have nice battery and gen sets. That's what I like.

I wasn't refering to their POPs.  I was refering to the customer location.

I've been wondering when the building codes will be updated.  Currently
the building codes require backup generators for elevators in high-rise
buildings, but not for the telecommunications room in high-rise building
(other than the fire alarm).  Instead of pulling individual copper pairs
from a POP to the high-rise building, a CLEC may install a fiber mux in
the basement and break-down individual circuits locally to copper.  When
the building looses power, so does the fiber mux.

Of course, adding batteries to the fiber mux doesn't solve the problem of
PBXs or even modern pay telephones in office buildings not working when
power fails.

Who replaces the battery in your cell phone when it expires?  How about
the battery in your cordless phone?  Or the battery in your smoke alarm?

If you don't want to do it yourself, for a fee you can hire someone else
to do it for you.  But then people would complain about the fee, and how
they could do it themselves for less.