Battery Maint in LEC equipment

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jun 6 15:45:35 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 12:56:34AM -0400, Sean Donelan wrote:
> I've been wondering when the building codes will be updated.  Currently
> the building codes require backup generators for elevators in high-rise
> buildings, but not for the telecommunications room in high-rise building
> (other than the fire alarm).  Instead of pulling individual copper pairs
> from a POP to the high-rise building, a CLEC may install a fiber mux in
> the basement and break-down individual circuits locally to copper.  When
> the building looses power, so does the fiber mux.
>
> Of course, adding batteries to the fiber mux doesn't solve the problem of
> PBXs or even modern pay telephones in office buildings not working when
> power fails.
>
> Who replaces the battery in your cell phone when it expires?  How about
> the battery in your cordless phone?  Or the battery in your smoke alarm?
>
> If you don't want to do it yourself, for a fee you can hire someone else
> to do it for you.  But then people would complain about the fee, and how
> they could do it themselves for less.

Well, this seems akin to the old "FOB Point" conversation in wholesale and
retail sales: "what is the service point?"  Or, more clearly: "whose
responsibility it is to make sure that the service is available at the service
point?"

It seems a contractual issue, to me, in those cases where it's not a
regulatory one.

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me