Vonage Selects TCS For VoIP E911 Service

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Jul 20 09:57:49 UTC 2005

At 10:32 AM +0100 2005-07-20, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

>>  While I agree that GPS is the likely answer, I wasn't expecting the
>>  ability to work inside computer rooms and basements.
>
>  It doesn't need to work in basements, etc. It only needs to keep
>  a record of the last location it was at when the signal faded
>  away. The emergency service vehicles probably can't get any closer
>  than that anyway.

	I've been doing some reading on this subject.  It seems that both
GPS and tower triangulation methods suck.  For GPS, the problems are
signal acquisition and penetration in urban environments, especially
with non-dedicated handheld devices.  For tower triangulation, the
problem appears to be areas with poor signal coverage where you might
only be able to barely see one tower, and where TDoA, AoA, and EOTD
aren't going to do you any good.

	In either case, simply keeping the last known signal lock may
very well be one of the worst things you could do.

	It seems to me that we need to use both technologies in order to
get any real hope of reasonably sustainable accuracy, either for E911
or any other location-aware technology.  And I'm not convinced even
that's enough.

	So, anyone want to place any bets on what's really going to happen?

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755