SORBS & deaggregation

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Jul 7 00:33:36 UTC 2005

On Jul 6, 2005, at 6:51 PM, David Barak wrote:

>> Perhaps the networks are disconnected? Perhaps there
>> is insufficient
>> bandwidth between the cities to carry inter-city
>> traffic?
>>

> So, why would GRE not be a reasonable (temporary)
> solution here?  If the islands are going to remain
> disconnected long term, why not get additional AS
> numbers?

It is non-trivial to get additional ASNs, even if you are multi-homed
in multiple sites.

Doesn't mean it can't be done.

But AS exhaustion is far more critical than IP exhaustion.  (Or even
RIB/FIB/proc exhaustion through additional prefixes, IMHO.)  So if
they want to be .. uh, well, a good 'Netizen and use one AS with
static routes or defaults or something to route between them, that's
better than a slew of ASes with the same prefix info we have today.

--
TTFN,
patrick