OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

David Conrad david.conrad at nominum.com
Wed Jul 6 15:30:12 UTC 2005

On Jul 6, 2005, at 7:57 AM, Scott McGrath wrote:
> IPv6 would have been adopted much sooner if the protocol had been
> written
> as an extension of IPv4 and in this case it could have slid in
> under the
> accounting departments radar since new equipment and applications
> would
> not be needed.

IPv6 would have been adopted much sooner if it had solved a problem
that caused significant numbers of end users or large scale ISPs real
pain.  If IPv6 had actually addressed one or more of routing
scalability, multi-homing, or transparent renumbering all the hand
wringing about how the Asians and Europeans are going to overtake the
US would not occur.  Instead, IPv6 dealt with a problem that, for the
most part, does not immediately affect the US market but which
(arguably) does affect the other regions.  I guess you can, if you
like, blame it on the accountants...

Rgds,
-drc