Fundamental changes to Internet architecture

Lixia Zhang lixia at CS.UCLA.EDU
Fri Jul 1 15:56:00 UTC 2005

On Jul 1, 2005, at 4:29 AM, Simon Waters wrote:

> On Friday 01 Jul 2005 11:28 am, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:
>

>> I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that we could benefit from
>> some
>> fundamental changes to Internet architecture.
>>
>> http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,68004,00.html?
>> tw=wn_6techhea
>>
>> Dave Clark is proposing that the NSF should fund a new demonstration
>> network that implements a fundamentally new architecture at many
>> levels.
>>

> '"Look at phishing and spam, and zombies, and all this crap," said
> Clark.
> "Show me how six incremental changes are going to make them go away."'
>
> Well I suppose it is a good sales pitch, but I'm not terribly sure
> that these
> are a network layer problems.

Good point.

However a network architecture is not limited to network layer only
(at least in classroom network architecture goes from physical to
application layers)
I hope that figuring out which layers should hold what
responsibilities would be one of the questions to clarify in this re-
examination of network architecture effort.