Fundamental changes to Internet architecture

John Dupuy jdupuy-list at socket.net
Tue Jul 5 15:44:52 UTC 2005

At 12:41 PM 7/3/2005, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

>On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 10:44:33AM -0500, John Dupuy wrote:
> > However, philosophically: security=less trust vs. scalability=more trust.
> > intelligent=smart-enough-to-confuse vs. simple=predictable. Thus, a very
> > Intelligent Secure network is usually a nightmare of unexplained failures
> > and limited scope.
>
>Counter-example: SS7.
>
>Cheers,
>-- jra
>--
>Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra at baylink.com
>Designer                +-Internetworking------+----------+           RFC 2100
>Ashworth & Associates   |  Best Practices Wiki |          |            '87 e24
>St Petersburg FL USA    http://bestpractices.wikicities.com    +1 727 647 1274
>
>       If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me

That is a good counter example, although it comes with some caveats. I work
with SS7 regularly. SS7 should be simple since it performs a simple
function, it is actually  complicated and complex. But, since SS7 takes us
away from the human-managed "static routing" of the older (MF?) trunk
networks systems, it's intelligence creates redundancy and limited failover.

Perhaps Clark will create something that is win-win like that...

(I assume you are giving this as a "intelligent vs. simple"
counter-example, since SS7 is an example of good scale because it trusts
blindingly.)

John