IBGP Question --- Router Reflector or iBGP Mesh

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Tue Jan 11 12:09:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 09:51:36PM +1000, Philip Smith wrote:
> Many of the ISPs I've worked with around the world have followed this
> path - and they are quite happy. I really think there is absolutely no
> need to consider full mesh iBGP any more. I wouldn't go as far as saying
> it's history, but I find it very hard to make an operational case for
> deploying full mesh iBGP any more.

One of the main problems of route reflection is that the best path
decision is done centrally. The best route is not seen as from the
router making the forwarding decision, but from the route reflector's
point of view. Depending on network topology, geographic spread end
peering/transit topo, this might/will have significant negative effects.

Best regards,
Daniel