MPLS or Site2Site VPN

Martin Hepworth martinh at solid-state-logic.com
Tue Aug 30 13:00:51 UTC 2005

Todd Reed wrote:
> I’m looking at connecting 15+ multi-state locations together to start
> forming a private corporate network.  The sites are small with 25-30
> devices.  I want to avoid direct-T1’s due to cost, therefore I’m looking
> for alternatives.  I know I can do site-to-site VPN, but I’ve also heard
> a lot about MPLS and from what I’ve read, it may be a good option.  Over
> the next year, we will be adding 5-10 more sites, so expansion is
> important.  I’m not planning to do voice, but it may be an option in 2-3
> years.  If anyone has any suggestions on their experiences, I would
> greatly appreciate it.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Todd

Todd

Masergy do a nice MPLS based service - you'll be transitting over
T1's..and aren't cheap but are very good.

If you have SDSL then you could look at running your own VPN (firewall
to firewall or whatever) but you do loose the traffice QoS (esp in the
internet fabric) you get with MPLS. A Packteer or similar would help but
you still can't control what's happening over the internet which might
affect VoIP or other sensitive applications. Habing said that I run a
VoIP for a couple of users over a self managed VPN with leased line at
one end and aDSL at the other with little problems, but that's all
staying within 1 ISP's network and in the same country so YMMV.

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator

the system manager.