zotob - blocking tcp/445

Bill Nash billn at billn.net
Thu Aug 18 17:08:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Roger Marquis wrote:

> My question is not what can we do about bots, we already filter
> these worst case networks, but what can we do to make it worthwhile
> for bot-providers like NETNET to police their own networks without
> involving lawyers?

Establish and document a history that determines peering with that
network, or it's providers, presents a significant risk to your network,
or that of your customers.

If you've got a view into your traffic that looks like this:
(Select source, proto, dstPort, count(destination) from flows where
packets < 4 group by source, proto, dstPort order by count descending)

Source  	proto   dstPort count
62.149.195.129  6       42      13018
203.69.204.250  6       445     12889
213.123.129.237 1       2048    12693
70.17.255.43    6       443     12685
217.132.56.139  6       4899    11056
209.181.111.12  6       135     8148
221.210.149.97  6       4899    7368
212.24.201.220  6       135     6451
172.131.83.244  6       135     6025
209.188.172.66  6       445     5055
80.177.36.162   6       445     4982
64.121.65.197   6       4899    4262
64.32.117.250   6       135     3954
213.144.99.241  6       445     3493
64.231.44.65    6       135     3157
213.123.129.237 6       139     2988
222.84.236.98   6       1023    2414
222.84.236.98   6       9898    2398
64.228.209.103  6       135     2305

Determining who to consider peering with gets a lot easier. (ASN's left
off to annoy the truly curious.)

As a provider, we don't want to be filtering heavily, as it invariably
leads to making allowances for Customer X. The management overhead, as
well as the impact on packet processing, is too great. It's easier for us
to be able to monitor and report to our customers what's affecting them,
and make sure they have the right tools in place to protect them from
these kinds of shenanigans.

- billn