zotob - blocking tcp/445

Andy Johnson andyjohnson at ij.net
Thu Aug 18 17:35:33 UTC 2005

If you have an offending network that does not respond to
abuse/complaints, your best course of action is to no longer communicate
with that network. That is your own choice as an end-user/network operator.

Complaining to their upstream or transit provider will only get them to
switch providers. The traffic will continue. An alternative solution as
you mentioned, involves some laywers, and attempt to recover
compensation for the damages. Good luck with that one though. From the
looks of it, you'll spend more money in court than you would have just
blocking them.

We can't force other networks to "play nice". As we all know, the
Internet is an open network. Protect yourself, and make sure you are not
one of the internet scum sending out this stuff, but don't depend on
others to play nice with you.

Transit providers should not be CONTENT filtering their customers (for
free anyways, I'm all for selling security services). This does not mean
they have no responsibility to keep a proper abuse/security staff. If a
transit provider has a customer who is constantly infecting/spamming/etc
and fails to act, by all means take action and drop the customer.

My main point is, if we depend on our transit providers to act as
Internet nannies, we are promoting poor end-user network management.

---
Andy