Blocking certain terrorism/porn sites and DNS

Abhishek Verma abhishekv.verma at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 08:20:08 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a doubt which i am sure a lot of people in this list would be
able to help me with.

There was news that terror groups like Al Qaida, etc. are using
internet to promote their terror links and these web sites provide
online training on how one could assemble bombs, etc.

The community as a whole wants to close all such web sites. I dont
think there is any ambiguity there.

My question is why cant we ban websites like, say, alqaida.com
(hypothetical name), etc. from the whois database.

As far as i understand if there is a website with the name of
www.abc.com then it needs to register itself with the whois database
(from network solutions) so that all the queries to this website can
be forwarded to the corresponding nameserver. Now, if we want to block
abc.com permanently then cant we simply remove this URL entry from the
whois database?

Will this work?

Thanks,
Abhishek