Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu Apr 28 15:43:02 UTC 2005

On 28-apr-2005, at 16:21, Adi Linden wrote:

>> So I do I obtain your permission to send you a packet?

> By replying to my request.

So ask your ISP to NAT you. (Most people do this themselves but you
seem to feel filtering out unwanted packets isn't something you want
to do.) You won't receive any packets that aren't responses to your
request, so you'll be be very happy that way.

Of course you can't use VoIP reliably or engage in other peer-to-peer
protocols with others who feel the same way.

>> And where in the packet does it show that the packet comes from
>> someone who has said permission?

> The packet only exists if it is in response to my request. Keep in
> mind
> that I am talking about enduser PC here.

I guess there are people who are happy with always being the
requester and never being the requestee... Fortunately that isn't
true for the entire population.