Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Wed Apr 27 13:25:55 UTC 2005

>clean it up from pollutants [spam, ddos], add antibacterial
>[antivirus] agents,
;)  My hotel confirmation for NANOG 34 was marked as spam.
Thankfully, the ISP let it through anyway.

It would be nice if the ISPs protected me from bad stuff on the
Internet - but why are they to be held to a higher standard than
similar services?

E.g., (not intended as a water-tight analogy) the roads around me
have laws and enforcement (sometimes).  If I am hit by someone who
breaks a rule, my insurance takes care of that.  But the road system
offers no protection to guarantee my on-time arrival at a Wednesday
night beering session.  (No over-provisioning there.)

If we can't make it easy to get to happy hour, how are we going to
make the Internet safe?