Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Apr 27 10:13:01 UTC 2005

--On Wednesday, April 27, 2005 6:36 +0000 bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:38:00PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> I think it's absurd.  I expect my water delivery company not to add
>> polutants in transit.  I expect my water production company to provide
>> clean water.
>
> 	er.. bad analogy warning... please take a sample of tap water to
> 	an independent lab for analysis...  and find out just what the
> 	water company is putting into your water.

Admittedly, there are contaminants in the water, but, I don't believe
most of them are added in transit.  (If I did, I'd be putting pressure
on to get that fixed).  If you're talking about fluoridation, I am
fortunate enough to live in an area where they figured out that was a
bad idea.

>> This is like asking the phone company to prevent minors from hearing
>> swear-words on telephone calls or prevent people from being able to make
>> prank phone calls from pay-phones.
>>

> 	more bad analogies... :)

Why is this a bad analogy?  Neither of these actions are currently prevented
by the telcos.

> 	that said, if you don't want your ISP to diddle your packets,
> 	may i suggest IPSEC?

Sometimes I use IPSEC, but, I don't want my ISP to diddle my packets
whether they're tunneled or not.  Fortunately, so far, I've been able
to find ISPs that don't.

Owen