Maybe OT: MPLS QOS SLA Monitoring

Bill Nash billn at billn.net
Mon Apr 11 17:58:29 UTC 2005

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com wrote:

> I'm currently looking at what the possibilities are for monitoring network
> activity and SLAs against Cisco QOS mechanisms within VRFs. The most
> desirable method seems to be using NetFlow collectors, though it seems as
> though the benchmark for this is NetFlow 9, and I'm not sure if it's
> terribly well deployed on NetFlow collectors out there. Anyone know if it
> *is* well implemented for a given product? Or even if there's just a better
> way?

My knee jerk response was to suggest that flow-tools[1] can handle v9
output, but now that I look closer, it doesn't appear to. What you're
talking about wouldn't be *too* difficult to implement externally, you
just need some way to connect your SLA metrics to your aggregate flows for
violation checks.

If you're perl-ish, the flow-tools kit + dplonka's toys should give you
what you're after with some implementation fu.

- billn

[1] www.splintered.net/sw/flow-tools/