Dear Linksys: Your broken WET54GS5 makes me sad.

just me matt at snark.net
Mon Apr 11 17:51:45 UTC 2005

Dear Support staff at Linksys:

This weekend I made a futile attempt to enable WPA Pre-Shared Key
mode on my home wireless network. The network consists of a
Linksys WRT54G router, two WET54GS5 bridges, and a pair of Apple
iBooks running MacOS X.

The iBooks had no problem communicating with the WRT54G in WEP PSK
mode. As soon as I made the configuration changes on the router and
the laptops, the link was up and consistent.

I had no such success with the pair of WET54GS5 bridges. They would
report WPA initialization succes, and pass traffic for several
minutes. They would then mysteriously drop link and cease passing
traffic. The only way to bring the link back up was to
"re-authenticate" via the WET55GS5 web interface.

I spent quite a long time making sure the bridges were seeing
adequate signal, and double-checking configurations everywhere. In
frustration, I googled to see if other folks had seen the problem:

http://www.google.com/search?q=linksys+wet54gs5+wpa+psk

It seems to me that not a single customer of yours who has purchased
your WET54GS5 has been able to use WPA PSK mode. I'd like to point
out that WPA is advertised as a supported feature on the packaging.

This has been a known defect since the product was first offered for
sale. The latest firmware (which does not fix the problem!) for the
device was released ONE YEAR AGO, in April of 2004.

I spoke online with a helpful support person, who let me know that
Linksys is indeed aware of the problem, but does not intend to do
anything about it. This is dissapointing, and reflects very poorly
on your new parent company.

Do you plan on remedying the problem before a class-action lawsuit
is organized?

thank you,
Matt Ghali
Your former customer

               The only thing necessary for the triumph
               of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke