30 Gmail Invites

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Sun Sep 12 03:40:04 UTC 2004

At 10:54 PM 9/11/2004, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

>In message <g38ybgi5nd.fsf at sa.vix.com>, Paul Vixie writes:
> >
> >i still can't understand why anyone would want a gmail account, free or not.
> >
> >not just "anyone on nanog".  anyone, anywhere, ever.  the reasons "why not"
> >are compelling enough.  but there are no counterbalancing reasons "why to",
> >either compelling or otherwise.
>
>I agree.  The privacy implications are *really* scary.  (And they're
>sufficiently worse for non-subscribers that I've contemplated blocking
>gmail-bound messages from my (personal) systems.)

And here I thought I was the only one to seriously consider blocking gmail
(to and from) because of the security implications.

As for the invites, I find it interesting just how many folks have been
taken in by their very clever marketing scheme that's gotten lots of smart
people to spamvertise gmail (and orkut for that matter). I agree with Paul
Vixie in not seeing the attraction at all.