30 Gmail Invites

Patrick W Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sun Sep 12 06:28:59 UTC 2004

On Sep 11, 2004, at 11:40 PM, Daniel Senie wrote:

> And here I thought I was the only one to seriously consider blocking
> gmail (to and from) because of the security implications.

Hope you are blocking every non-personal mail server on the planet.

I'm with Paul on the "makes sense" to run your own personal mail server
- for me, and others who _can_ run their own mail server.  For those
who can't, public mail servers are all "scary".  Gmail is no more scary
than hotmail, yahoo, msn, verizon, earthlink, or any of a billion other
mail systems on the 'Net.

Put another way, how many of you have mailboxes on your personal server
for friends and family without the clue / time / motivation to run
their own mail server?  Should we all block you because you can read /
store / sort / examine / virus check their mail?

People like it when someone else takes care of the back-end details.
And if someone else is doing that, then someone else can read their
personal stuff.  Period, end of discussion.

Deal with it.  Or cut yourself off from e-mail.  Your e-mail, your
decision.

Just please stop complaining to the rest of us how scared you are that
some mail admin on the other end of a port 25 connection might read
something you sent to one of their users.  It's so... 1970s.

--
TTFN,
patrick