OT- need a new GSM provider

Dr. Jeffrey Race jrace at attglobal.net
Fri Sep 3 01:12:17 UTC 2004

On 02 Sep 2004 22:29:27 +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
>Now that AT&T has followed T-Mobile's example by screwing the pooch on my
>cell phone billing, and I've flung yet another SIM-locked Motorola V600
>out the window of yet another moving vehicle, and am about to enter into
>another year long "you violated the agreement first" small claims battle, I
>need a new GSM provider.  I'm going to buy an unlocked tri-band GSM this
>time.  Anybody had notable (good or bad) billing and/or customer service
>experiences with Voicestream or any other GSM provider with native coverage
>in the San Francisco Bay Area?

I have had nothing but terrific customer support from T-Mobile in the Boston
area.   They even answer the phone!    Their coverage is spotty in many
areas I have travelled around the U.S., but it is improving and you can set
your handset to auto-seek an available network.   (They have reciprocal
roaming agreements with AT&T and Cingular.).

However in large parts of Maine there is NO service anywhere.

Voicestream was bought by T-Mobile.

You can get unlocked handsets off eBay; I bought two Motorola triband
units for $80 each.  Notes from my T-Mobile rep:

  - OUTDATED HANDSETS:
    -Nokia 8890: some problems
    -Motorola Timeport series (all except one model is triband including
      L7089).  Larger than V series.    P280 is triband but has problems
    -Siemens one triband model.  Problems.
    -[JR also finds: MOT P8097  Ericson R520]

 - Meg says can buy in aftermarket unlocked triband (or T-Mobile/Voicestream)
     Ericson T68m  or T68i, Mot P7389 Timeport or L7089 (buy on eBay)

My daughter will take that Motorola V600!  (She nags me daily to buy one for
her.)

Jeffrey Race