BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PI prefix [Re: who gets a /32)

Martin Hepworth martinh at solid-state-logic.com
Thu Nov 25 09:17:29 UTC 2004

The BBC has lots and lots of small regional (and sub-regional) offices
to provide local radio and TV, not to mention their larger operations
like TV center, broadcasting house, Pebble Mill and other production
studios for programs like EastEnders. 200 locations doesn't seem that
off to me..

Alot of the staf where 'outsourced' to Siemens aa couple of months, I
think that was around 2000 for just the technical side (IT, comms,
broadcast tech etc). Then there's presenters, journalists, researchers
etc etc..

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Jeroen Massar wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 08:49 +0000, Ryan O'Connell wrote:
>
>>On 25/11/2004 08:07, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>>

>>>It is sourced from AS31459, which is the BBC R&D AS, thus might be
>>>that it is still sort of experimental, but it is there.
>>>
>>>This also proves one big thing to all the people complaining about
>>>getting a TLA. If the BBC can get it, any large organization can get
>>>one. If you can't you simply do not network well enough.
>>>

>>The BBC are probably a bad example in this case, they're more of an
>>ISP/Content Provider than a typical Enterprise.
>

> Thus do they reach the currently only 'problem rule' that is set to get
> a /32? -> to have 200 sites in the future?
>
> The BBC is for sure one organization, with likely a couple of sites
> though, but 200 would seem a bit on the high side.
>
> Nevertheless, if they can get it why can't you as an 'enterprise', or
> are you just a few persons sitting in a shack with a 'company'?
>

>>They're also
>>considerably larger than the typical SME requiring multihoming, which is
>>I think where the sticking point will be with IPv6.
>

> Small-Medium-Enterprise? <2000 employees? I call that a company not an
> enterprise ;)
>
> What I am wondering actually, if any of the people who mention they have
> problems with getting an IPv6 TLA, if they even tried getting one... and
> if they did why did it fail? Otherwise one would not complain ;)
>
> Greets,
>  Jeroen

the system manager.